Today, December 1st, is World AIDS Day, a world-wide international initiative designed to spread awareness and education, commemorate those who are living with AIDS or have passed away from AIDS and to celebrate victories in access to treatment and prevention.
Today is an opportunity for widespread involvement and attention to this important issue and each one of us can make a difference. In this information age, you can send help with something as simple as a text message. However, if you are unable to donate time or money, you can help by increasing the awareness of both yourself and others.
Here are some resources if you’d like further information or would like to get more involved:
- World AIDS Day.org
- The Global Fund, a foundation dedicated to fighting AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
- Project (RED) – (Random fact, I’m writing this blog from a Dell Project Red laptop)
- World AIDS Campaign, where there is a World AIDS Day event calendar highlighting events going on worldwide
- UNAIDS, the Joint United Nations Program against HIV/AIDS
- United Nations Millennium Development Goals – Development Goal Number 6 is “Combat HIV/AIDS, Malaria and other diseases”
- MAC AIDS Fund – The Foundation affiliated by MAC Cosmetics